One of my favorite health tips drives my friends nuts when I start preaching about juicing!
Do you have enough time in your day to eat all the recommended fruits and vegetables that will keep you healthy and happy???
It's not easy! But my personal solution is MY JUICE MACHINE!
Look into getting a juicer for your own health boost! A juice machine is the best investment you can make for your health and happiness!
Cure Help has articles to help you discover information and tips about
Stay health with Cure Help Health Tips! 376&results=3"); ?>
While much of the information at Cure Help Health Tips can be beneficial and empowering, we'd just like to remind you that the suggestions found on this web site are intended for informational purposes only and are not medical advice.
Is there any truth to the cholesterol scare or is it merely a fraud?
There are two schools of thought on whether high cholesterol is harmful and can cause risks of heart disease and heart attack.
The conventional medical community has been telling us for many years to avoid certain fats in our diet and by doing so, will keep our cholesterol levels low; thus, preventing heart attack and stroke. Along with diet, they recommend exercise and in some cases, certain medication that claims to help lower the cholesterol levels.
By eating meat and dairy products or any other foods deemed to be high in cholesterol, our bodies are supplied with less than ten percent of our cholesterol needs. The body then produces its own supply of cholesterol, amounting to three to four times the amount eaten. Thus, by cutting down on high cholesterol foods, the body simply produces the rest of the needed cholesterol naturally. Regardless of diet, the level of cholesterol in our blood is managed naturally by the body. This is why only a few points are dropped, when someone uses diet to bring down their high cholesterol level.
The claims of high cholesterol causing heart disease and heart attack are not really justified, as studies have shown that people with low cholesterol have just as many heart problems as those with high cholesterol. In fact, it has been found with heart attack victims that they have not eaten any more fat than other people.
Stress, physical activity and body weight contribute to blood cholesterol levels. Also, if the body is unhealthy from another illness or disease, the cholesterol level may rise.Cholesterol lowering drugs are given to those with high blood cholesterol levels. These drugs have serious side affects and can lead to eventual death. Over the past forty years there have been four important studies done on the effects of cholesterol lowering drugs, which showed a seven percent increase in premature death. .
The newest of these drugs are called statins. The possible side effects to these statin drugs include damage to the liver and to muscle tissue. The doctor needs to keep close check of the person's liver who is taking these drugs and if the liver is found to be not functioning properly, then the drug should be stopped. Damage to the muscle tissue can be very serious. Pain, weakness and tenderness in the muscles should be reported immediately to the doctor, as a very dangerous condition can develop, if the drugs are not stopped. The brain is also affected by these drugs and can cause memory loss and inn addition, can cause individuals to do traumatic things such as commit homicide and suicide.
Even more alarming, the American Diabetes Association is recommending all diabetic patients be put on the statin drugs, in case it's found sometime in the future to be a good treatment for diabetics. It's also reported that some doctors have convinced their patients to take the statin drugs, even though their cholesterol isn't high.
One has to wonder what has caused this misconception or fraud to be perpetrated on the people. All one has to do is follow the money trail, as usual. It's all driven by greed. The drug companies make billions a year selling these statin drugs and there are more of these sold than any other.
Your Independent guide to Cholesterol
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michael_Russell
As always, before you attempt to self medicate or try a new health regimen or program we suggest you retain the services of a qualified health care professional.
Cholesterol Management: Cholesterol and Diabetes
LDL cholesterol is sometimes called “bad cholesterol”; HDL cholesterol is sometimes called “good cholesterol.” LDL is what takes the cholesterol out into the bloodstream to distribute it to where it is needed in the body. HDL takes the excess cholesterol out of the bloodstream and returns it to the liver. It is generally good to have higher HDL rates than LDL. Diabetes can affect the distribution of the lipoproteins. As such, diabetes can lead to a higher incidence of heart disease.
People with diabetes can have lower-than-normal HDL rates, which means that cholesterol is not removed from the blood efficiently.
Diabetes affects cholesterol in certain ways: people with diabetes are likely to have LDL particles that are more damaging to the artery walls, because the cholesterol sticks to the artery walls. Diabetics can also have higher rates of triglycerides, another blood lipid (blood fat) that can cause complications.
Glucose latches on to lipoproteins, particularly LDL. Sugar-coated LDL stays in the bloodstream longer, and can lead to an increase in arterial plaque. Arterial plaque is a build-up on the artery walls. It leads to irregular blood flow, and in severe cases, it can block the artery entirely, causing a stroke. These blood clots, called a thrombus, can lead to thrombosis and other medical conditions. Some studies have shown that you can lower your arterial plaque by taking Vitamin K (potassium), which is found in fruits such as bananas.
Some people with diabetes have to work to control their cholesterol with their diet and exercise.
Eating less fat (such as butter, margarine, and cooking oil) can help you lower your cholesterol. Eating more fruit is another way to combat high LDL cholesterol. Choose low-fat dairy options (try drinking skim instead of 2%, or using low-fat sour cream), and choose whole grain bread options. Exercising for 30 minutes a day is an important part in controlling both your cholesterol and your diabetes. Limit your servings of meat, fish, and poultry. Animal products are the only ones that contain notable amounts of cholesterol.
As you have probably noticed, the lifestyle changes involved in managing cholesterol are very similar to the techniques for managing diabetes. Rather than going on cholesterol-reducing drugs, alter your lifestyle first. You will be healthier and happier overall if you manage your cholesterol naturally. Very few people need cholesterol-lowering drugs, except those with certain predispositions and genetic conditions. If you do choose to use drugs, be sure that your doctor and pharmacist know what diabetes medications, and other medications, that you take.
Cholesterol, like diabetes, can be managed by living a healthy lifestyle. Eat properly, exercise regularly, and look after yourself, and you will most likely never have a problem with your cholesterol levels.
Vivian Brennan is an expert on diabetes, and is currently an editor at The Guide to Diabetes (http://www.theguideto-diabetes.com/diabetes_diet/) She is living with and managing her diabetes. She believes in educating people about diabetes to help manage diabetes, prevent complications, and improve lifestyles.
Cholesterol Do's and Don'ts
Here's what you can do to help decrease your LDL's and increase your HDL's, keep your cholesterol levels balanced and your heart healthy.
1. Eat your colors. Even if your LDL is a little on the high side, there's at least one way to defuse its danger. Antioxidants, the food chemicals that help protect the body's cells from oxidation, aid the body in its fight against a slow destruction. Food sources known to fight what is called free radical damage actually limit the harm that LDL can do to our vessels. Vitamin E, vitamin C, beta carotene, garlic, red wine, red grape juice, soybean constituents and any fruit or vegetable are great antioxidant-rich foods. While many fruit juices have antioxidants in them, they don't contain fiber. If you have a choice between a fruit juice and a whole fruit, pick the whole fruit. Fruit and vegetable fiber is an important combatant against high LDL.
2. It encourages blood clotting, LDL oxidation and works against the benefits of high levels of good cholesterol. But have no fear. B vitamins (especially folic acid) help quell homocysteine. Good food sources of B vitamins are: leafy green veggies, orange juice, dried beans and fortified cereals. Multivitamin supplements with folic acid and B vitamins also help control homocysteine in most people.
3. Watch what you drink. Heavy drinkers of caffeinated coffee (nine cups a day) have up to 25 percent higher homocysteine levels. However, drinkers of caffeinated black tea can lower homocysteine levels, possibly because tea contains folic acid. Many researchers believe that this may help to explain why studies have linked heavy coffee consumption to increased heart problems and tea consumption to reduced heart problems.
4. Know your fats. Remember, not all fats are bad. The cardiovascular system's greatest nemesis is saturated fats or animal fats found in many meat and dairy products. These fats can raise bad cholesterol levels in the body and make the blood more sluggish and prone to clotting, which can constrict arteries so less blood and oxygen get to the heart and brain. Avoid fatty meats and stick to lean poultry and fish. Another artery enemy is trans fat, which is found in hard margarine and the hydrogenated oils in processed foods. It's best to stay away from saturated fats and trans fats and choose heart healthy fats like olive oil, canola oil, borage oil, avocado and fish oil.
5. Keep your mind and your arteries open. Scientists stress the importance of vascular function. Healthy vascular function allows blood to flow smoothly to the heart and brain. This is mostly accomplished by nitric oxide, a chemical released in the cells of blood vessel walls. You want to eat foods that stimulate the release of nitric oxide already present in the body. Studies have identified the best blood-vessel openers as red skinned peanuts, apple skin and pulp, tea (especially green tea), cinnamon, red wine and purple grape juice. The same chemicals in these foods also help reduce blood clotting and LDL oxidation. Also, fish oils and vitamin C help support healthy blood flow.
6. Eat or drink soy. Soy products are also linked to reduced cholesterol because of their isoflavone content. The FDA recently approved a health claim label for soy products containing soy protein. It states that daily consumption of as little as 25 grams daily will help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
7. Don't forget your soluble fibers. Foods such as barley, high fiber raisins, whole wheat bread, sesame seeds, nuts and oats are super rich in soluble fibers. How do these work? They slow down the entrance of cholesterol into the body. When you have a choice between refined foods versus whole foods, the decision is easy ... choose the whole foods. Say "no" to white rice, white potatoes and semolina pasta.
Ryan Joseph is a writer/researcher. Information about pharmaceutical grade fish oil may be found here http://www.omega3zone.biz/old-newsletters.htm
If you can successfully decrease your LDL cholesterol, you will successfully decrease your overall level of cholesterol. Many studies have shown that by decreasing cholesterol you are also decreasing your chance of having a heart attack. This is something that everybody should take very seriously.
Here are three benefits that go along with decreasing LDL cholesterol.
1. Decreases the overall chance of having a heart attack or stroke
2. Reduces the formation of cholesterol plaque
3. Eliminates existing plaques, and reduces the chance that the ones there will rupture
The bottom line is that the more LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream, the better chance you have of a heart attack. To take this a step further, if you currently have heart disease, you can greatly increase your overall health by lowering your LDL cholesterol count.
The good thing about LDL cholesterol is that it can be treated. So if you are told that your LDL cholesterol levels are high, there is no reason to stress out. Simply follow the plan that is set forth by your doctor until you reach your target level.
Listed below are five ways that you can decrease your LDL cholesterol level.
1. Cholesterol lowering drugs are available to help you decrease your LDL cholesterol. The only problem with these is that they are quite expensive, and there are many side effects that go along with them.
2. There are many natural supplements available that can help fight high cholesterol. They include: guggul, pantethine, fish oil, and garlic among others. Make sure that before you start taking any of these that you know what you are doing.
3. You can eat cholesterol lowering foods such as almonds, avocados, soy beans, mushrooms, and garlic.
4. Get put on a low cholesterol diet so that you are ensured of never raising your overall levels. If you are unsure of where to start consult with your doctor or a dietician.
5. Exercise and weight loss can also help to lower cholesterol levels. In addition, if you smoke you should cut this out right away as well.
Guggul Health Benefits- Cholesterol Lowering Herb
Guggulu, commonly known as guggul in Hindi language, is very important and trustworthy herb in ayurvedic system of medicine. It is an important content of very famous ayurvedic classical medicines like yograj guggulu, kaishore guggul, triphala guggul, chandraprabha vati, arogyavardhani vati etc. It finds its use in almost every kind of illness due to its miraculous treating power.
Commiphora mukul, biological name of guggulu or Indian bedellium as in English language, is a small shrub or a tree, which reaches a maximum of 4 – 6 ft in height. It bears thorns on its branches. It possess small leaves those very similar to that of a neem tree. Its flowers are of red in colour and bears fruit that are oval in shape and pulpy in nature. Guggulu is the gum resin that is being excreted by bark of the plant. It is generally found everywhere in India.
Guggulu is an ushan virya herb i.e. it has hot potency, therefore has a killer instinct of the diseases cause by vata dosha prominence. But its effects are also seen in suppressing all the three aggravated dosha hence it works as tridosha suppressant. Guggulu gets these properties as it contains tickt and katu rasa. In chemical composition guggulu (extracted resin) consist of octanordammarana terpenes manusumbionic acid and manusumbinone as obtained from chemical analysis. Guggulu is only used after purification (shudhikar) in milk; it should never be used in raw form.
As mentioned earlier guggulu is indicated in many ailments. Following are its few of the indications:
· Guggulu is very often used as an anti inflammatory and pain relieving herb by Indian herbal doctors, as it has ushan virya in potency thereby possess the power of suppressing vata which is pain causing factor.
· It has been very dominantly used in arthritic pains. It also possesses the property that helps in reversing the degenerative changes that has occurred in joint and bones. It helps in relieving pain and swelling. Due this property is also believed in strengthening nervous system of the body. Hence widely used in diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, Osteoarthritis, sciatica, paralysis, hemiplegia, lymphadenopathy etc.
· Guggulu is widely used in skin diseases as it acts as blood purifier. It promotes the production of red blood corpuscles (RBC) and improves the action of white blood corpuscles (WBC), which are helpful in fighting against any kind of infections. Guggulu is also known for improving our immune system. Good results are seen in leprosy and eczema.
· Guggulu is regarded as ayurvedic antibiotic and is blindly used in infectious diseases with great results.
· Guggulu finds its application in problems related to heart. Great results have been seen in people who suffer from high cholesterol levels. Significant lowering in blood cholesterol levels has been reported by regular use of guggulu. It helps in maintaining LDL and HDL levels in blood in normal limits.
· Guggulu has properties, which is indicated in hypertension. It helps in lowering in blood pressure levels and helps in maintaining it to normal levels.
· A good result has also been seen in reducing fat levels from body. As guggulu is ushan virya in property and has well penetrating power because of tickt and katu rasa, gives it the property that can be very helpful in obesity-realated problems. Ayurvedic physicians have used it as anti obesity agent since centuries.
· It also works in strengthening our digestive system, helps in easy secretions of digestive juices, works as appetizer, avoids indigestion and constipation, also beneficial in hemorrhoids and colitis. It is helpful in relieving from hyperacidity and belching. Good results have also been seen in liver related problems.
· Guggulu is also seen helpful in upper respiratory tract infection. It works as expectorant by helping in suppressing kapha dosha, which is the main culprit in causing wet cough. Benefits are also seen in asthmatic conditions.
· A great benefit has been seen in patients suffering from renal calculi. It works as diuretic and also helps in crushing the calculus thereby relieving and treating a person from renal stones.
· Gargles done by guggulu water (guggulu dissolved in water) have been widely used in tonsillitis, mouth ulcers, upper respiratory tract infection, throat irritation, pharyngitis and stomatitis.
· It has been seen that by regular usage of guggulu helps in improving sexual ability and sperm count. It also helps in improving sperm quality. Therefore also works as aphrodisiac.
· Menstrual disturbances and painful menses are another disease where guggulu gives wonderful results and has been a part of many classical ayurvedic medicines.
· Guggulu also works as rasayan i.e. used in promoting youthnesss with longitivity. This is the reason it is the part of well-known rasayan known as Chawanprash.
Know more about Guggul, Guggul Health Benefits, Cholesterol Lowering Herb, Guggul Extract, Supplements and Tulsi- Basil, Holy Basil (Tulsi) Benefits, Research, Uses, Supplements by visiting http://www.morphemeremedies.com
Dr John Anne
When you think of cholesterol, your only thought is that it should be lower, however HDL levels are not the same. The higher the better is the necessary information when it comes to HDL cholesterol levels. HDL is not the same as cholesterol. In fact your HDL levels are high density lipoproteins. Our bodies can never seem to have quite enough of them. Their role in our body is to carry cholesterol away from body tissues after LDL has carried it to them. Because LDL vastly outnumbers HDL by about 3 to 1, we're much better off if we can raise our HDL cholesterol levels.
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the liver and is found in all the cells of the body, most prominently in the brain and nerve cells. Cholesterol protects the wall of the cells and is used to produce hormones, bile acids and vitamin D. Each day large amounts of cholesterol are used by the body to perform all these necessary functions. When the body makes large amounts of cholesterol, it's because the body needs it and not because the body wants to clog the veins and arteries.
There are several different ways that you will want to achieve this. On the list are the excessive smoking, alcohol, body weight, exercise and medications. Let's look at the actual numbers on this. You have to remember that the smallest changes in HDL levels are significant. It would be going to far to say it is exponential, but a 1 mg/dL increase in your HDL cholesterol levels means as much as a 2 to 4 percent reduction in risk of heart disease and cardiac problems in general.
Breaking Down The Numbers on HDL Cholesterol Levels
When we start thinking about HDL levels you need to remember that the numbers are different for men and women. In general, the average figure for HDL is approximately 40 mg/dL for what someone wants in HDL cholesterol levels. That is certainly the range that you have to think in terms of.
At this point we should go from risky HDL to average HDL to ideal HDL levels. The too-low danger flag about this goes out at 37 mg/dL for men and at 47 mg/dL for women. The normal range for men to have is about 40 to 50 mg/dL, and for women 50 to 60 mg/dL. The general target range for HDL cholesterol levels, but you have to remember that nothing is set in stone in this area, but it is about 60 mg/dL. A reasonable goal we can all set is and should be to increase HDL cholesterol levels by 10 mg/dL from whatever it is now.
As you can see there is a vast difference from your cholesterol levels and your HDL levels. It is wise for you not to confuse the two of them. Common sense would be for you understand that HDL levels work in the exact opposite manner that cholesterol does, however your HDL levels is akin to monitoring your cholesterol in that they both play a huge role in your overall health. It amazes me how much people get so involved in their cholesterol levels that they forget about everything else. You can keep your HDL levels in regulation height by simply eating a balanced and nutritious combination of whole foods.
Related Cure Help articles on Cholesterol
Cholesterol Lowering Food - If I could pronounce it right, I would call cholesterol onomatopoeic. It's a word that, to me at least, conjures up clogged arteries, fried foods and early death. I probably stand alone on this but when I pronounce it
Cholesterol Lowering Food - Cholesterol lowering food in combination with a healthy fit lifestyle has been proven over and over again to be one of the most effective ways of lowering cholesterol naturally.
Cholesterol Milk Sugar - Beta-sitosterol is plant sterol found in almost all plants. It is one of the main subcomponents of a group of plant sterols known as phytosterols. It is white in colour and waxy in nature. It has a chemical structure that is very similar to cholesterol.
Cholesterol Related Diseases - Nowadays in this fast paced world and changing lifestyle majority of the people are in the burden of stress. Stress has become an integral part of every human being and they try to find the ways to lower it down significantly.
Cholesterol Test Kit - A delicate combination of steroid and alcohol, Cholesterol, also a combination of a lipid that is found in cell membranes of all of our body tissues. Cholesterol is also transported in the blood of all animals.
Developing Heart Disease - A month ago, I received news that a former colleague of mine collapsed in his office, and had a sudden massive heart attack and did not survive the night to see his family. He was in his early fifties.
Good Eating Habits - Cholesterol is a waxy, fatty substance that is found in every cell of the body. It is involved in the production of cell membranes, some hormones, vitamin D, bile acids, and other tissues in the body. It also insulates nerves.
Hdl Good Cholesterol - If you are living an unhealthy lifestyle, you are increasing the risk of developing high cholesterol. Having high cholesterol is bad because it increases the risk of you having a heart attack, stroke, or high blood pressure.
Health Benefits Cholesterol - Is there any truth to the cholesterol scare or is it merely a fraud? There are two schools of thought on whether high cholesterol is harmful and can cause risks of heart disease and heart attack.
Serious Cancer Treatment - It is said 'Prevention is better than Cure' and we thereby to safeguard you against this deadly disease provide you with the best of information so that you can avoid being engulfed by it because we care.
Brain Cancer - It is used for the treatment of early and advanced breast cancer in pre- and post-menopausal women. It is also approved by the FDA for the reduction of the incidence of breast cancer in women at high risk of developing the disease.
Lower Cholesterol Levels - Zetia can work on it's own or with statins like Lipitor, Zocor or Crestor to help lower your cholesterol. Statins work mainly with your liver to decrease production of chloesterol and reduce it in your bloodstream.
High Blood Pressure Cholesterol - Cholesterol and children is a topic that you just don't hear much about. Teaching your children about eating right, from the start, from when they are young, is going to build great eating habits for years to come.
Professional Medical Advice - People who suffer from arthritis are always looking for ways to relieve their pain. One way to ease or even prevent it is through an arthritis diet.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain - The pharmaceutical industry has many different types of drugs that simply mask the symptoms or decrease the pain for a short period of time. Research is under way to develop different types of drugs that could actually inhibit the inflammatory process.
More coming soon!
New Articles - Just Added
Malnutrition Related Diabetes - Perhaps no other disease is as closely linked to nutrition as diabetes. Not only does nutrition play a role in its development, nutrition is also one of the disease's most powerful treatments.1 Because of this strong and critical connection to nutrition, researchers have carefully studied the use of nutritional supplements in the treatment of the disease.
Considering Plastic Surgery - Nowadays you can find a lot of places where you can have the breast augmentation. Miami is one of the biggest plastic surgery centers in the USA, so if you live there you're in the right place. But in order to be really satisfied with the surgery's result, you have to know a few things and answer to a few questions first.
Newest Articles from the Health Tips Blog
Newest Articles from the Hulda Clark Information Blog - zappers, detox, liver and kidney cleanses and more!
Cure Help Featured Article Topics
Acid Reflux - articles, tips and information about Acid Reflux
Allergies - Allergies can be cured in many cases!
Anti-Aging - Anti aging health tips!
Arthritis - Arthritis cures and suggestions on how to reduce pain
Bed Wetting - Bed Wetting can be cured fast with the right approach
Cancer - Cancer is a major concern as our world gets more polluted
Cholesterol - Cholesterol is an important health concern
Depression - Depression cures can improve your state of mind
Diabetes - Diabetes may not be cured, but there are many tips to make life better!
Hair Loss - Hair Loss is a major concern for both men and women
Lasik Surgery - Lasik Surgery is an increasingly popular option to cure eye problems
Natural Cures - There ar emany natural cures to improve health and ailments
Nutrition - What you need to know about Nutrition and your health
Plastic Surgery - Plastic Surgery is an option to change your appearance
Skin Care - Skin Care is a major concern for children, men and women
Vitamins, Herbs & Supplements - Health tips about Vitamins, Herbs and Supplements
Stop Smoking Cigarettes - Tips for stopping cigarette smoking... yuck!
Teeth Whitening - all about dental methods and teeth whitening
Weight Loss - articles about losing weight and improving your body image.
Recent Health Articles from the Web
Stay health with Cure Help Health Tips! 318&start=1&results=4"); ?>
Looking for something specific? We're proud to offer Google Search for both the web AND so you can find content on our web site! Simply type in a few words and select web or our site and we'll help you find exactly what you are looking for! Happy hunting!
Look! Just added to Cure Help Health Tips!
Weight Loss Motivation - The Secrets have been in our family recipes, some even date back as far as 3000 BC. For years our Ancient ancestors have been using natural herbs and spices to heal and cure, even to take the weight off.
Cure Help Legal Disclaimer: Cholesterol articles, news, tips and information presented as a public service. Cure Help offers information for entertainment and educational purposes. None of the viewpoints or tips and suggestions presented in the articles are endorsed by Cure Help. Please consult a health care practitioner (your doctor) before applying any health tips, advice or suggestions for possible cures. We care about your health! Be smart and get several opinions before you implement any changes in your life! Please consult the FDA Compliancy Policy Guide for information on drugs and standards.
New Cure Help Health Tips Articles - Just Added!